CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Multi-tasking, Good for Us?

Over the last few months, I've been involved in several conversations regarding multi-tasking. We all do it. Washing dishes while talking on the phone. Checking e-mail or surfing the web while watching t.v. while talking on the phone. Talking on the cellphone while driving while listening to music.

First, a confession. I am a big multi-tasker. It is hard for me to do only one thing at a time. I find that I just can't sit on the sofa and chat on the phone. I have a cordless phone so that means I can do lots of other things while talking on the phone, e.g., wash the dishes, clean up the kitchen, throw a load of laundry in the washer, check my e-mail and on and on.

When and how did our society get to a place where the "norm" is to do more than one thing at once? Why do employers now expect most employees to do the job of 2.5 people? There was a time when employees would be recognized, and often rewarded, for giving more than 100% to their job. These days, it's expected and often taken for granted that an employee will give 200% to their job. We all know people who work long hours daily and often continue to do work at home when they finally do go home. What have we gotten ourselves into? And the better question: why have we fallen for this scam? We certainly are not compensated for the additional duties. And an even better question: What is all this multi-tasking doing to our lives? What is the toll that this is taking on our health?

I've been home in Pennsylvania for the last month. As I prepared for my trip, I made sure to pack my laptop (and its cord), my cellphone (and its adapter), my portable scanner (and its cord), my ipod (and its cord) along with clothes for at least a month. See, I've got to be totally connected.

Since leaving Texas, I've been away from the majority of "my things." That being the case, it's hard for me to do my usual multi-tasking. I actually find myself sitting and only doing one thing at a time. Today I sat on the porch and talked on the phone and did nothing else but stare at the beauty that is Pennsylvania in the summer. It was relaxing and refreshing. In my sister's house where I am staying, there is no television in the living room where I spend the majority of my time. As a result, I've watched very little television in the month I've been here. At home in Texas, the television is always on, even if just in the background. I find that as the weeks go on, I'm no longer missing the noise (and distraction) of television. I'm seriously considering getting rid of cable when I return to my home. I find that I'm able to concentrate more on my studies and that my mind is "stilled" much more than it is at home.

Maybe I'm on to something. Maybe all this multi-tasking is not good for the soul, the spirit.

0 comments: