CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Obama Does Not Walk on Water

In other words, Obama ≠ Messiah. With all the talk and expectations of Barack Obama even before he takes office, I am reminded of the line from a movie that asks, Is he the One? It would take a Messiah to clean up all the mess left by George Bush. The financial industry is in shreds, the auto industry is going bust, unemployment is near record highs, our image overseas is badly tarnished, we are occupying Iraq in a fraudulent war, we have a record budget deficit, the war on drugs has long been lost and home foreclosures are at record highs. Who but a Messiah could fix all that in four years, or even eight years? Anyone who expects, believes, that a President Obama can fix all that in four years is living in a fantasyland. Yet, somehow I suspect that Obama will be held to a much higher standard than any of his predecessors. You know, "we've" always had to be better to get and keep the job. Every cabinet choice he makes, every speech he gives, even every stroke of his pen, will be analyzed and over-analyzed.

I would have voted for Obama if his skin color had been purple. I voted for change. I voted for the hope that things would get better, for all Americans, but most especially for the 95% of Americans who are not wealthy. I wanted a president who cared about the environment. I wanted a president who did not practice bully politics. I wanted a president who believed that health care was the right of every American. I wanted a president who would end this fraudulent war in Iraq. I wanted a president who cared about international relations. Do I expect him to be a miracle worker? Nope. Do I think he can clean the mess of the last eight years in four years? Nope. Do I expect him to make a dent in restoring all of the above? Yes. Do I think he will walk on water? No. I even expect him to make some missteps. And, I expect him to be crucified by some for those missteps. I have no doubt that Obama will be under the microscope more intensely than any president in history.

Every single job I've held in my life, I've had to be better just to get the interview. It will be the same for Barack Obama. Will I hold Obama's feet to the fire? Darn tooting! If he fails, will it have anything to do with his race? No, not one single thing to do with his race. I am claiming success for him. Success, not as a Messiah, but success as a president who just happens to be a black man.

Blessings,
T


 

0 comments: